Tag: 上海高端茶会所

Hamas urged to commute death sentences for three Fatah men accused of killing two journalistsHamas urged to commute death sentences for three Fatah men accused of killing two journalists

first_img RSF_en May 25, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Hamas urged to commute death sentences for three Fatah men accused of killing two journalists PalestineMiddle East – North Africa News PalestineMiddle East – North Africa Help by sharing this information News June 3, 2021 Find out more News RSF asks ICC prosecutor to say whether Israeli airstrikes on media in Gaza constitute war crimes WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalistscenter_img Follow the news on Palestine Reporters Without Borders wrote today to Prime Minister Ismael Haniyeh condemning the death sentences which a Gaza military court imposed yesterday on three men for the May 2007 murder of two journalists, Souleyman Al-Ashi and Mohammed Abdu. The three men are all Fatah members.“We believe that all those who murder journalists should be arrested and brought to trial (…) but we are totally opposed to the death penalty, which violates basic human rights principles,” Reporters Without Borders said in its letter. “Furthermore, this sentence is clearly politically-motivated, a result of the clashes between Fatah and Hamas in the Gaza Strip. Justice, including military justice, should not be used for partisan ends.”The letter added: “Justice should be rendered to Souleyman Al-Ashi and Mohammed Abdu but the death sentences passed on their convicted murderers should be commuted to jail terms.”Ashi and Abdu, who worked for the pro-Hamas newspaper Filasteen, were murdered on 13 May 2007 during fighting between Hamas and Fatah that led to Hamas taking control of the Gaza Strip on 17 June 2007.The three Fatah members who were sentenced to death are Shadi Khadar Ahmed, Raed Sabri Maqusi and Shadi Abdelkarim Madhun. Ahmed, 30, was arrested on 10 October 2007 and is being held by the Gaza police. Maqusi, 29, was arrested on 13 March 2008 but escaped from the Gaza City prison during an Israeli air strike on 28 December 2008 that was part of Operation Cast Lead. Madhun, 30, has yet to be arrested. May 28, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts to go further Israel now holding 13 Palestinian journalists Organisation May 16, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Manhunt underway for Baton Rouge killer possibly targeting homelessManhunt underway for Baton Rouge killer possibly targeting homeless

first_imgkali9/iStock(BATON ROUGE, La.) — Police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, are asking for the public’s help in finding a gunman who appears to be targeting the homeless. Investigators warned city shelter workers to be extra vigilant over the weekend when Tony Williams, a 50-year-old transient, was found shot to death on the porch of a vacant home. Investigators said the killing appears to be connected to the murders of two other homeless people found shot to death earlier in December. “At this time, we believe that the homicides are connected. However, such connection cannot be positively confirmed at this time. If confirmation is made, further information will be released at the appropriate time,” Baton Rouge Police Chief Murphy Paul told reporters on Friday. “We will continue to work these cases aggressively.”Paul said the suspect, or suspects, appeared to be targeting the city’s “homeless and therefore vulnerable” and warned that “there is danger in sleeping outside.” The department said it reached out to the FBI as well as Louisiana State Police for assistance in the investigation. The department said it’s also in contact with organizations that provide resources for the homeless in an effort to raise awareness.“We do believe that it was incumbent upon us to provide the public, the media and the service providers that provide services to our homeless community that there is danger in sleeping outside,” Paul said. “As we speak, our officers are contacting organizations and agencies that provide services to the homeless community.” Williams suffered a single gunshot wound. He was discovered on the porch of an abandoned home, about two block away from where the other victims, Christina Fowler, 53, and Gregory Corcoran, 40, were found on Dec. 13, also with gunshot wounds. The news has placed the city’s homeless population on edge.Michael Acaldo, director of the city’s largest homeless shelter, St. Vincent de Paul, said the facility expanded its capacity in the wake of the killings. “It’s kind of hard to put any of this into words, because it’s shocking. Why would anyone target someone who’s vulnerable and homeless?” Acaldo told ABC News Baton Rouge affiliate WBRZ-TV. The department declined to say why it believes the cases are connected, but did add it expects to have confirmation soon. No additional updates had been provided as of Tuesday evening. Anyone with information has been asked to contact Crime Stoppers immediately. “We are not going to provide any specifics as to the investigation,” Paul added. “But it’s important for us to let the homeless community know that we want them to be vigilant and that those service providers understand and help us communicate this message.”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Jacinda Ardern surges in polls on Kiwi virus successJacinda Ardern surges in polls on Kiwi virus success

first_img“The fact that I’m making no assumptions about what will be the end outcome will be on election day should be a nod to that.”Ardern’s personal approval rating is comparable to the 65 percent some polls gave former center-right leader John Key, who won three elections before stepping down in 2016.The support for Labor will be even more heartening for Ardern, giving the party the chance to govern in its own right for the first time since a German-style proportional voting system was introduced in 1996.Ardern took Labor from the doldrums in the 2017 election, lifting its vote by almost 13 points to 36.9 percent.But she still needed support from minor parties to form office and National attracted the most support of any single party with 44.4 percent.Ardern gained international acclaim for her empathetic response to last year’s Christchurch mosques massacre, when a lone gunman murdered 51 Muslim worshippers.But it was not reflected in polling and before the pandemic, indications were that Labor’s support had plateaued, with Ardern set to struggle in the September election because voters were turning away from her coalition partners.Whether the latest jump in support can be maintained will depend on the long-term success of Ardern’s “go fast-go hard” coronavirus strategy.It appears to be working so far, with New Zealand recording only 21 COVID-19 deaths in a population of five million. Support for the conservative National opposition slumped 12.7 points to 30.6 percent in the poll, with its leader Simon Bridges on 4.5 percent as preferred Prime Minister — down 6.1 points.The figures mirror leaked research from Labor’s own pollster, UMR, last month which had Ardern’s party on 55 percent support and National at 29 percent.Ardern, who won office on a wave of “Jacinda-mania” in 2017, said she was making no assumptions about the September 19 election.”I’m taking nothing for granted,” the 39-year-old told Newshub.  New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern’s success containing coronavirus has driven an extraordinary popularity surge that has put the youthful leader on course for a landslide win in September’s national election.Ardern’s center-left Labor Party was up 14 points at 56.5 percent, a Newshub-Reid Research poll published Monday found, with her rating as preferred prime minister surging 20.8 points to 59.5 percent.The survey also indicated an overwhelming 91.6 percent backing for Ardern’s COVID-19 response, which involved a strict seven-week lockdown that appears to have the virus under control.center_img Topics :last_img read more