The couple moved from Grobogan regency to Surakarta for the better job prospects. In Surakarta, they used to pay Rp 400,000 (US$ 26.8) per month for a room.“After my husband was laid off, we could not pay for the room and decided to rent a pedicab for Rp 5,000 a day,” said Fatimah on Wednesday, as quoted by Kompas.com.She said the family had been relying on donated aid and food.“Since we live on the street and are unable to cook, if we get rice or cooking oil, I sell them to pay the pedicab rent and buy diapers and other necessities for my baby,” she said. Read also: Social aid feud between central govt, city leaves some poor Jakartans in limboHowever, as of Friday, the family had moved into a room paid for by donors, Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo said.“I just had a phone call with Fatimah, and she said that the family was now living in a boarding house. She has also received aid and has begun selling food for a living,” he said.Ganjar reminded the public to report to authorities if they found themselves or others suffering economic difficulties during the pandemic.“The family [of Dul] had probably yet to report. That’s why they appeared on the news,” he said, adding that it was important to report financial hardship because the government had not fully recorded pandemic poverty data. (aly)Topics : A family of three in the city of Surakarta in Central Java lived and slept on a becak (pedicab) for a month after the breadwinner, 30-year-old Dul Rohmat, lost his job as a construction worker as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.With no income, the family could not afford to rent a room.Dul, his 33-year-old wife Fatimah and their 13-month-old baby lived by moving from one place to another. They stayed mostly on Jl. Adi Sucipto in Laweyan subdistrict, where there were fewer mosquitos, Fatimah said.
Baker Hughes Rig Count: U.S. -1 to 1,026 rigsU.S. Rig Count is down 1 rig from last week to 1,026 rigs, with oil rigs down 1 to 833 and gas rigs unchanged at 193.U.S. Rig Count is up 36 rigs from last year’s count of 990, with oil rigs up 33 and gas rigs up 4.The U.S. Offshore Rig Count is unchanged at 22 rigs and up 9 rigs year-over-year.Baker Hughes Rig Count: Canada -28 to 161 rigsCanada Rig Count is down 28 rigs from last week to 161, with oil rigs down 20 to 98 and gas rigs down 8 to 63.Canada Rig Count is down 58 rigs from last year’s count of 219, with oil rigs down 46 and gas rigs down 12. The number of offshore rigs in the U.S. remained unchanged at 22 units last week, according to a Friday report by Baker Hughes, a GE company.
Drinking rum is not a defence, magistrate tells Soufriere manDrinking rum is not a defence, magistrate tells Soufriere man
7 Views no discussions LocalNews Drinking rum is not a defence, magistrate tells Soufriere man by: – February 7, 2012 Sharing is caring! Share Share Share Tweet Court gavel. Photo credit” lazytechguys.com“Drinking rum is not a defence; it does not help you” this is what Chief Magistrate Evelina Baptiste told a 45 years old male adult of Soufriere who was arrested for making threats to, wounding and battery on a police officer and pleaded guilty to all three charges when he appeared before her on Monday.Henryson Williams told Constable Marlon Jervier “I will hit you back, I will spend my money to get rid of you” while he was arresting him for disturbing the peace on the Soufriere Bayfront on the 3rd of February, 2012.According to Police Prosecutor Inspector Claude Weekes who read the facts of the case in Court, the police stationed at the Soufriere Police Station received information from a civilian on 3rd February, 2012 that the Defendant was involved with a fight.Shortly thereafter they received further information that the Defendant was disturbing the peace and behaving in a disorderly manner therefore Constable Marlon Jervier was dispatched to investigate the matter.On arrival on the scene the officer met the Defendant speaking loudly in a very unruly manner and he appeared drunk. Constable Jervier spoke to the Defendant and while executing his duties “the Defendant came up very close to his face and he had to punch him”. The Defendant did not stop his unruly behavior and “the officer had to push him away from him, injuring his left thumb in the process and had to punch him to release his finger, the police had to punch the man for him to let go his finger from his mouth”.Constable Jervier arrested the Defendant and he told him; “I will hit you back, I will spend my money to get rid of you”.Williams however when asked to make a plea in mitigation for himself told Magistrate Baptiste, “I’m sorry, I don’t know what went up in my head. I have a very good job at the Soufriere Village Council and I want to keep it and I have children to take care of. I’m sorry please, please if you have a little mercy on me I won’t come back here again, I won’t drink any rum to come back here again”. Magistrate Baptiste told the Defendant; “Drinking rum is no defence it does not help you; otherwise people would just drink rum and come here and say that. What you have to do is go in your bed and sleep and when you sober come back out”.She explained that the role of the police is to protect citizens, “you should know better; there are too many adults behaving like teenagers”.When Magistrate Baptiste told the Defendant that he is ordered to pay a fine of $1500.00 on or before the 30th of July, 2012 or in default spend 6 months imprisonment he gasped!She told him “don’t react, don’t do that I am giving you a very soft sentence; the maximum is 5 years imprisonment”.On the charge of making threats the Defendant was fined $1200.00 fine to be paid on or before the said 30th July, 2012 or in default serve 5 months imprisonment.He did not receive any separate sentence on the charge of battery and has to pay a total of $2700.00.The Defendant left the Court room in tears on Monday after receiving the fines.Dominica Vibes News
Milan, Ind. — At 8 a.m. Wednesday, June 14 the boil advisory for the town of Milan was lifted. For more information call 812-654-3407.
Syracuse to face Massachusetts in opening round of NCAA tournamentSyracuse to face Massachusetts in opening round of NCAA tournament
No. 5 Syracuse will play No. 16 Massachusetts in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday in University Park, Pa.The Orange (17-2) hoped to earn one of the top four seeds — which would have made J.S. Coyne Stadium a host site — but instead will play at a neutral site. The Minutewomen (15-8) beat Rider in overtime on Tuesday in an NCAA play-in game. On Oct. 11, Massachusetts beat Syracuse 2-1 in Amherst and ended the Orange’s 12-game winning streak to start the season.“I’m excited,” SU head coach Ange Bradley said. “It’s an opportunity to prove what we’ve learned from that game and go back out and have an opportunity to win.”Syracuse is also looking to redeem itself after losing to Connecticut 4-3 in the Big East tournament championship on Sunday. The Orange blew a two-goal lead to the Huskies after beating them on Oct. 27 for the conference regular-season title.Syracuse has beaten three of the top four seeds already this season, including top-seeded North Carolina, No. 2-seed Princeton and No. 3-seed Connecticut.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Orange could face No. 4 Penn State if both teams win their first-round matchups. The Nittany Lions play Albany.Senior back Iona Holloway said the team can’t look past UMass.“Probably everyone’s looking at the bracket and saying it will be Syracuse-Penn State,” Holloway said. “But you have to focus on the game that we’ve been given so far, and that’s UMass. So that’s all we’ll be looking at until we beat them.”After the Orange failed to achieve one of its goals this year — winning the Big East tournament — the team’s journey to reach the national championship starts Saturday in University Park against a team it’s already lost to.“I think it’s really great for our team,” Holloway said. “It’s definitely a bit of redemption, and we’re so excited to be going and playing them because we know we can beat them.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 7, 2012 at 1:41 am Contact Phil: email@example.com | @PhilDAbb
O’Connell nominated for Player of the ChampionshipO’Connell nominated for Player of the Championship
Team captain Paul O’Connell has been joined on the 12-man short-list by scrum-half Conor Murray and centre Robbie Henshaw.George Ford is one of four English players nominated, while Alun Wyn Jones and Sergio Parisses are among the other players short-listed, but there’s no nomination for Ireland out-half Jonny Sexton or Wales captain Sam Warburton.
Kick-off tomorrow is at 2.30pm. After Nenagh Celtic knocked out Nenagh AFC in the Tipperary Cup semi-finals, tomorrow’s Premier Division play-off means even more to Dave Rooney’s Nenagh Town side. Rooney’s outfit are looking for their fifth successive League title before they depart the NTDL. He says the Tipperary Cup defeat will motivate his players during tomorrow’s local derby and he always saw Celtic as their main rivals.
Top Stars, Artistes Hail Organisers of African Freestyle ChampionshipTop Stars, Artistes Hail Organisers of African Freestyle Championship
Henshaw said: “My interest in this sport grew when I realised the huge potential it has to impact grassroots football and make an otherwise overlooked freestyler a celebrity, at no cost at all. I am happy to be part of this and I encourage people to register to attend the event.”According to Akanni, “It is an honour to be an ambassador of a tournament that is determined to touch lives and mine this huge reserve of talent in Africa. Because of the lack of structure in the sport, it has been impossible to harness the economic and entertainment potentials it possesses.”Dikeh who was very excited about the development also said: “I am happy Feet ‘n’ Tricks has extended the event reach to Africa. It shows a growing company with a vision and I am happy to be brought on board as an ambassador. I want to also encourage more women to be part of this game. “The 2018 Africa Freestyle Football Championship will feature artistes like Falz, Vanessa Mdee, Kcee, Mayorkun, Slim Case and Mr Real.The championship will also host international freestyle professionals; Guinness world record holder, Iya Traore and Female freestyle legend, Raquel Benetti from Brazil.Former Eagles Manager, Siasia, while appreciating Feet ‘n’ Tricks, said: “Associating with an organization that is poised to project and reward talent in Africa is a good one for me because I am particularly happy with the positive impact this championship is having on the youths in Africa, who have only their freestyle skills to survive. This puts them on a pedestal for the world stage.”The qualifying rounds and Nigerian championship takes place on September 13th and 14th, 2018 at the Balmoral Convention Centre, Federal Palace Hotel in Lagos while the best 16 male and eight female freestyle athletes in Africa will emerge to battle it out at the grand finale on September 15, 2018.This event is endorsed by World Freestyle Football Association and proudly sponsored by Heritage Bank, Sprite, GAC Motors, MTN, StarTimes, FIRS, Eko Disco, Goal.com among others.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Top sports and entertainment stars who were named as ambassadors for the first-ever African Freestyle Championship have expressed their delight over the initiative by the Feet and Tricks International, organisers of the event.They are former professional English footballer, John Fashanu; former Head of Lagos State Football Association, Waidi Akanni; and former Super Eagles Coach, Samson Siasia, Superstar actresses, Kate Henshaw and Tonto Dikeh.“I have a passion for the development of grassroots football and what Feet ‘n’ Tricks is doing is basically creating an avenue to accommodate these freestylers who have been neglected all over the continent,” Fashanu said.
Listen to the KGLO Morning News from Monday May 18th
– Fedders Lloyd blacklisted by World Bank By Vahnu ManickchandThe Specialty Hospital Project is once again placed on hold following the blacklisting of Fedders LloydAn artist’s impression of the Specialty Hospital Fedders Lloyd is proposed to buildCorporation Limited, the Indian-based company contracted to complete and equip the state-of-the-art medical facility.At the post-Cabinet briefing on Friday Minister of State Joseph Harmon disclosed that the construction company was barred from doing any World Bank-funded projects for the next four years and as such, the Government of India, which is funding the Specialty Hospital Project, has decided to cease doing business with Fedders Lloyd.This new position, according to Harmon, was communicated to Government by the Indian High Commission here via a letter dated June 2016.“(The letter said), among other things, the contractor Fedders Lloyd Corporation Limited was not eligible to continue the project because it was debarred or disbarred by the World Bank for projects until 2020 due to its procurement policy,” the Minister related.He further stated that the Indian government expressed preference for a fresh tendering process to be conducted to select a new Indian-base contractor to execute the project.However, Harmon pointed out that this new development has resulted in the project being once again put on hold to facilitate a new tendering process for a new contracting firm prepared to complete the project for the remaining US$13.8 million.“The tendering process, as we are aware, actually takes quite a while – several months it takes – to be completed and while this process is undertaken, the loan sum continues to be eroded by inflation, interests and fees,” the Minister of State outlined.He explained that in light of this development, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Finance and Public Health have been requested by Cabinet to make “certain enquiries” of the Indian Government before a definitive course of action is adopted by Guyana on the Specialty Hospital Project.Indian Government responseNevertheless, Indian High Commissioner to Guyana Venkatachalam Mahalingam subsequently told Guyana Times that his government is committed to working with Guyana to see the project come to fruition. He explained that the Indian government’s decision not to continue with Fedders Lloyd was as a result of the “blacklisting” status from the World Bank.“World Bank has blacklisted Fedders Lloyd from April 6, this year until 2020… so we are going by World Bank’s blacklisting which was based on certain procurement policy and therefore we also don’t want to work with Fedders Lloyd,” Mahalingam declared.On the other hand, when contacted, Public Health Minister Dr George Norton related that this hold-up in the project has delayed the process of Guyana benefiting from improved health services which the Specialty Hospital would be offering.Nevertheless, he noted that government will go ahead and commence the process for a new contractor in the near future.Asked whether government will appoint another contractor as it did in the case of Fedders Lloyd, as opposed to going to tender, Dr Norton said: “We will go over the entire process again, I don’t think there was a third person.”The Specialty Hospital Project was initiated by the previous People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) administration with the aim of catering for complicated surgeries, ranging from heart operations, organ transplants to cosmetic surgeries.With a US$18 million Line of Credit from the Indian Government, the contract was awarded to India-based Surendra Engineering, to design and the facility, a project that the then A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change (APNU/AFC) Opposition had heavily criticised.ControversyHowever, citing instances of alleged fraud and delays, the Donald Ramotar Administration last year announced that it had terminated the contract of the India-based company and subsequently filed a lawsuit against the company for failing to honour its obligations. Guyana is yet to recover close to $1 billion from the company.After coming to power last year, the APNU/AFC administration scrapped the Specialty Project with the expectation of diverting the remaining US$13.8 million towards upgrading three primary healthcare facilities – the Bartica, Suddie and West Demerara Hospitals.But in November last year, government announced that it will go ahead with the Specialty Hospital Project and two weeks later, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Fedders Lloyd – one of the original bidders in 2012.Government explained that after examining the merits of the proposal, it began searching for a willing partner to complete the Specialty Hospital using the remaining US$14 million. Hence, without any tendering it approached Fedders Lloyd to complete the project.This caused much uproar and controversy after it was revealed that the Indian company was never the second best bidder in the tendering process back in 2012, as claimed by the APNU/AFC Government.The PPP/C opposition had stated that the company was disqualified because of certain inconsistencies in its submission to the local Tender Board, a report which government contended was a lie.Former Legal Affairs Minister Anil Nandlall had pointed out that the bid was never evaluated and therefore cannot be considered as the second ranked bidder.In this regard, he slammed the government for bypassing the transparent process to handpick a contracting company, which is known to have close ties with senior government official Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan, to undertake the construction of the Specialty Hospital.