Ruth Jones has won the Newport West by-election triggered by the death of veteran MP Paul Flynn.The Labour candidate fought off 10 opponents, including Ukip’s Neil Hamilton and Amelia Womack, deputy leader of the Green Party.The turnout was 37%. Labour’s majority fell from 5,658 votes in 2017 to just 1,951, but the Tory share of the vote also dropped.Newport West constituents voted to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum by 56%, which Ukip made efforts to capitalise on in the contest, while Jones preferred to talk about the effect of Tory policies such as Universal Credit.Newport West by-election results:Labour: 39.6% (-12.7)Conservatives: 31.3% (-8.0)UKIP: 8.6% (+6.1)Plaid Cymru: 5.0% (+2.6)Lib Dem: 4.6% (+2.4)Green: 3.9% (+2.8)Renew: 3.7% (+3.7)Abolish the Welsh Assembly: 0.9% (+0.9)SDP: 0.9% (+0.9)Democrats and Veterans: 0.8% (+0.8)For Britain: 0.7% (+0.7)“I will stand up for the people, the jobs and the economy of Newport West”.Labour’s Ruth Jones has won the Newport West by-election. Read more: https://t.co/prPTzt9fNm pic.twitter.com/p7l6mXntI2— ITV Wales News (@ITVWales) April 5, 2019In her victory speech, Jones said: “Who knows what the next few days, weeks and months will bring. But what I do know is that people have had enough after a decade of austerity.”“They’ve had enough of cuts that have taken police off our streets, they’ve had enough of being made to feel worthless by universal credit and the bedroom tax. If I’m going to parliament, it’s with those people in my heart and Newport in my mind.”“Paul Flynn had a massive personal vote – everyone knew him, he had been here for 32 years” says Labour’s Ruth Jones, when @afneil asks about the fall in Labour vote and share in #NewportWest #newportwestbyelection#bbctwLive updates: https://t.co/s8d1IsJHwa pic.twitter.com/aYH6zYzkVU— BBC This Week (@bbcthisweek) April 5, 2019Commenting on the result, Jeremy Corbyn said: “I send my warmest congratulations to Ruth Jones on winning Newport West. Ruth will be a fantastic successor to Paul Flynn and will take up the tireless work he carried out for this community.“Tonight’s result sends a clear message that the people of Newport and Wales are fed up of austerity which has robbed the Welsh economy of £1 billion through needless cuts, and shows support for Labour’s alternative.“Labour will reverse these cuts and support the Welsh Labour government and First Minister Mark Drakeford to rebuild communities like Newport with proper investment to create a society that works for the many, not the few.“I thank Ruth Jones and the whole Labour team for the energetic and positive campaign we ran together to win Newport West so we can keep challenging this chaotic Tory government and build towards a Labour government.”Tags:By-election /Newport West /Ruth Jones /
Month: July 2019
SAINTS have launched a very special Charity Shirt in aid of ABF The Soldiers’ Charity.The shirt will be worn when Saints take on Hull KR at Langtree Park on June 29.ABF The Soldiers’ Charity – formerly the Army Benevolent Fund – are the Army’s charity who exist to help the Army family, those who have been prepared to risk everything for us when they or their family require help most.They help assist soldiers, former soldiers and their families whatever the circumstances, whatever the rank, whatever the campaign.Established in 1944, they were originally set up by the Army Board that could foresee the Government of the day being unable to help everyone who was being discharged from the Army.They support the Army family by giving grants to individuals and charitable grants to other specialist charities that help soldiers and former soldiers (e.g. Combat Stress, BLESMA, Blind Veterans Aid (formerly St Dunstan’s)) and work with veterans from every conflict since WW2 and especially those from the more recent campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan.They currently help more than 4,000 people each year assisting individuals and specialist charities.They have also sponsored Chris Flannery for the last two years.St Helens’ own Andy Reid lost both his legs and right arm in an IED attack in Afghanistan said: “The Soldiers’ Charity supports the entire Army family and through the Charity I have met amazing people who test their physical and mental limits to raise much-needed funds for others.“I keep pushing myself forward to show other injured guys what can be done, to show them it’s not the end of the world and you can carry on as normal a life as possible.”The shirt is in the ABF’s colours and comes in its own Commemorative Box complete with a numbered Certificate. It is limited to 750 only.Prices are: Adults (XS-4XL) £49.99, Ladies (6-18) £49.99 and Kids (6-16) £36.99.You can buy by calling into the Saints Superstore at Langtree Park or via the online Saints Superstore.To find out more on the ABF, click here
JAMAHL Lolesi hailed Saints defensive qualities foJAMAHL Lolesi hailed Saints defensive qualities fo
JAMAHL Lolesi hailed Saints defensive qualities following their win at Widnes.A 21-8 victory landed a tenth win in eleven games – and kept them with a chance of reaching third spot.“It was important to come here and get the two points,” Saints assistant coach said. “We got the points and were really happy with the defensive effort.“When you watch Widnes you know they can attack and Kev Brown is a hell of a player to play against. They didn’t have much to play for and therefore played carefree, moving it around well to put us under pressure.“Our defence held up for long periods and to concede one try through natural play was a pleasing effort.“We came under a bit of stick midway through the year so it is all credit to the players who have managed to turn it around and get going. A few characters have played some leading roles there too.“We are under no illusions though, the bigger games lie ahead. We will put our efforts into next week, see where we finish up and then go into the semis.”Lolesi revealed that Jonny Lomax missed the game through injury – but he will be fine – whilst Adam Swift was taken off the field for a head knock.Greg Richards also left the game with a similar injury.“We will have to see where we are on a short turnaround,” Lolesi added. “We are pretty confident Jonny will be fit and Percy (Mark Percival) could be close too.”Saints play Wakefield this Friday at Langtree Park (8pm).Tickets are on sale from the Ticket Office, by calling 01744 455 052 or by logging on here.
NC Health and Human Services has established the health goal for exposure to GenX in drinking water at 140 nanograms per liter (also referred to as parts per trillion).More information can be found here. BOLIVIA, NC (WWAY) — Brunswick County has received additional results of testing for GenX in the water supply.Samples taken on August 3 revealed levels of 21.1 parts per trillion in the Northwest Water Treatment Plant’s raw water source, and 22.6 parts per trillion in the finished water source.- Advertisement –
New reef materials enhance fishing for Brunswick County anglersNew reef materials enhance fishing for Brunswick County anglers
BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Anglers who fish in Brunswick County waters will find improvements at one of the offshore fishing sites this fall.The N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries’ Artificial Reef Program, in partnership with the Long Bay Artificial Reef Association, recently sank a barge and more than 1,600 tons of concrete pipe on Artificial Reef-430.- Advertisement – Concrete Pipe33° 52.314’ N78° 09.852’ W The division maintains 43 ocean artificial reefs and 25 estuarine reefs, 15 of which serve as oyster sanctuaries. Ocean reefs are located from one-half mile to 38 miles from shore and are situated so that they can be reached from every maintained inlet in the state.The reefs serve as crucial spawning and foraging habitat for many commercially and recreationally important fish species in North Carolina. Barge33° 52.326’ N78° 09.985’ W LatitudeLongitude Concrete Pipe33° 52.363’ N78° 10.000’ W Concrete Pipe33° 52.190’ N78° 09.792’ W Concrete Pipe33° 52.339’ N78° 10.119’ W The new material will enhance fishing opportunities for anglers from Oak Island, Southport, and Ocean Isle who target nearshore species such as flounder, Spanish mackerel and king mackerel.The reef is about 2.6 nautical miles offshore of Oak Island in about 35 feet of water.Contractors sank the 75-foot barge on July 19. In August, 1,606 tons of concrete pipe was deployed at several locations on the reef site.Related Article: Homeowner’s extended family hurt when stairs collapsed at OIB homeThe division plans to sink up to another 2,500 tons of concrete materials on the site this fall, more than doubling the amount of material on the reef. The division initially deployed 2,000 tons of concrete pipe on the site in 2013.Approximate coordinates for the new materials:
Future of reverse osmosis plant in the air millions down the wellFuture of reverse osmosis plant in the air millions down the well
LELAND, NC (WWAY) — As it stands now, Bill Beer will join Trudy Trombley and Jeff Gerken, the other two H2GO board of commissioners who opposed the reverse osmosis plant.All three say the next step is stopping the construction of the project.- Advertisement – “Well the next step would be to try to get spending to stop and I will be asking the executive director of H2GO to put a halt to the spending as quickly as possible,” Jeff Gerken, an H2GO commissioner, said.H2GO executive director Bob Walker says so far, they have spent $6.1 million. They have contracts signed for another $8 million. Cancelling now, could result in up to $14 million going down the drain.“It’s clear that this project is not going to be completed and that every penny that is spent between now and the board meeting in late December, when we cancel the project, will be a waste our customers money,” Gerken said.Related Article: Pakistan’s Imran Khan sworn in as prime ministerTrombley says the project puts financial pressure on customers and there is no purpose for plans to continue.“Leland would be in a bubble. And so, whenever you left Leland to go to Supply, Calabash, anywhere else, you’re not going to have RO water. Let’s work with the county and spread this solution out,” Trombley said.But first, the board members have to work together.Beer says he is working closely with Trombley and Gerken. He says they will focus on getting some of the money back.
Citizenship granted to dozens at Southport naturalization ceremonyCitizenship granted to dozens at Southport naturalization ceremony
There are a host of eligibility requirements that take 3 to 5 years of living in the U-S before someone can begin the naturalization process.After applying and testing, these people take that oath of citizenship.“I’m very excited and proud and honored to actually now vote one day here,” said Nadya Keyser who came to the country with her husband to be and now teaches at New Hanover County High School.Related Article: Trump meets with team as clock ticks to partial shutdownFor 23 years Southport has hosted a naturalization of immigrants who have lived and work in the U.S. and applied to gain their citizenship.It’s that path to citizenship that has caused a major political and humanitarian debate in our country.“I think its something that the entire nation is having a conversation about with the intense fear that the undocumented immigrants have of being caught and deported back to their country or where they came from,” said Daniel Cortes Mendez.The political climate motivated Aurelio Cortes Rivera to seek legal status after decades of being a permanent resident on a green card.“I decided to get involved and the only way to get involved is to have citizenship and have the right to vote,” said Cortes Rivera.His family now hoping his months of work to gain citizenship motivate other relatives given the tough stances on immigration ongoing.“Maybe you have noticed, there is a small immigration issue going on in our country,” said district court judge Jason Disbrow. “There are no group of Americans better equipped than you 78 folks to get involved.”“There’s definitely hope for anyone that is willing to go through the process,” said Cortes Mendez. 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave Settings SOUTHPORT, NC (WWAY) – Gaining U.S. citizenship is not easy for thousands who come into our country.Today, nearly 80 new Americans were given legal status in Southport after months and even years of going through the process.- Advertisement –
Back to school photo of Matt Bennett. (Photo: WWAY) School photo of Helen Holt (Photo: WWAY) School photo of Jeff Rivenbark (Photo: WWAY) 1 of 7 Basil John heading back to school. (Photo: WWAY) Randy Aldridge graduating Kindergarten (Photo: WWAY) Back to school photos of Helen Holt, Hannah Patrick, and Jeff Rivenbark. (Photo: WWAY) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Students in dozens of counties in North Carolina head back to classrooms Monday for the first day of traditional calendar school.Some of the WWAY team shared their back-to-school photos to celebrate a new year. Juli Barkas getting on the school bus in elementary school. (Photo: WWAY) School photo of Hannah Patrick (Photo: WWAY) – Advertisement – We want to see your photos! Share them with us on Facebook.
Ready to get rid of your Christmas tree Heres how to getReady to get rid of your Christmas tree Heres how to get
Through December 26th to January 15th, residents can drop off their Christmas trees at the Home Depot on Eastwood road or in Monkey Junction, along with the New Hanover County landfill for free recycling.The trees will go towards beach re-nourishment, mulching and landscaping while helping to keep landfills emptier.The only rules- no ornaments or artificial trees will be allowed.Related Article: Community celebrates Christmas early for NC girl with terminal cancerThis service is a partnership of New Hanover County Environmental Management, City of Wilmington Solid Waste Division, and Home Depot. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY TV)–As the holidays draw to a close…it’s time to get rid of those Christmas trees. And if you’re a New Hanover County resident, you can get yours recycled for free.- Advertisement –
WPD Teen girl in serious condition after being hit by carWPD Teen girl in serious condition after being hit by car
WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A 17-year-old Clayton girl is in serious condition after being hit by a car in the 700 block of South College Road early this morning.Wilmington Police say the victim and a group of friends were trying to cross nine lanes of traffic around 2:20 a.m. when a driver traveling in the southbound lane collided with her. They were not in a crosswalk.EMS transported the victim to New Hanover Regional Medical Center with serious, but non-life threatening injuries.The driver, Taquan Marquse Barrett, 21, has been charged with driving while license revoked.The investigation is on-going.